Let’s face it; kids love to get messy, especially on playroom rugs. From dramatic princess tea parties with imaginary friends, to crafting activities that produce oodles of mess, the playroom is the perfect place for kids to let their imagination run wild. If you’re lucky enough to have a separate playroom in your home (or if you’re planning on building one), that means you need to stock it with toys and even playroom rugs.
You might not think of rugs as being super-important when it comes to creating an awesome playroom space. But rugs matter a lot. Rugs act as protectors for your flooring so that when kids spill paint or iced tea or other liquids and messes in the future – which they will – your actual flooring won’t be damaged. They also make the space more inviting and comfortable because let’s face it—most kids love to play on the floor.
Playroom rugs are a staple for the play area in your home. Whether you are on the hunt for a playroom rug or want to know how to maintain one, this blog will help provide insight.
What to Look For in a Playroom Rug
When you’re shopping for a playroom rug, there are a few things to consider. No matter what type of rug you’re looking at, you’ll want to think about how it will fit in with the rest of your playroom design.
For example, you might have a very modern playroom that’s decorated in black, white, and red. In that case, you could choose to go with a colorful rug like a red rug and then add in some fun pops of red elsewhere in the room.
You’ll also want to keep in mind the amount of foot traffic the rug will get. If there are a lot of kids that are going to be playing on the rug, you’ll want to make sure it’s a durable one that can take a few spills and tumbles.
Choosing the Right Type of Playroom Rug
There are several different kinds of rugs that you can use in playrooms and other kid-friendly rooms in the house. Some different types of rugs to consider for the playroom include:
Kid-Friendly Rug – These are the classic rugs that you might think of when you imagine a playroom. They are usually made with a synthetic, pile surface and come in a wide variety of colors and designs.
Indoor/Outdoor Rug – These rugs are perfect if you have kids or pets that love to play outside. They contain a synthetic blend fabric surface that is easy to clean and can stand up to getting wet. These are also completely weather-proof, which means they work indoors and outdoors.
Plush rugs – Plush rugs are a great option if you have kids that are younger. They are soft and comfortable to walk on, easy to clean, and come in a variety of styles and colors.
How to Care for Your Playroom Rugs
If you want to ensure that your playroom rugs last for a long time, it’s important to take good care of them. Even though they are are great for playrooms, they can still get dirty, stained, and worn out over time. Here are some tips for keeping your playroom rugs looking their best for as long as possible:
– Avoid Stacking Chairs or Other Furniture on the Rugs: When you’re setting up your playroom, remember that the rugs are there to protect your floor. Don’t put chairs, tables, or other pieces of furniture on top of the rugs; instead, use the floor underneath.
–Vacuum the Rugs Regularly: It may sound like overkill, but you should vacuum your playroom rugs at least once a week. This will help to keep them clean and free of dust, dirt, and other pollutants that can cause them to wear down faster.
– Replace Rugs Every Couple of Years: Even though playroom rugs are usually made to last for a long time, after a couple of years, they will start to show wear and tear. Once that happens, you’ll need to consider replacing.
– Keep the Rugs Clean: Kids will get messy. Period. It’s inevitable, so don’t stress about it too much. You can minimize the mess by keeping your playroom rugs clean. When something spills or gets spilled on the rugs, make sure to clean it right away. We have some tips below!
How to Clean Your Playroom Rugs
The best way to clean your playroom rugs is to employ a two-pronged strategy: regular vacuuming, followed by spot cleaning whenever necessary.
You should vacuum your rugs at least once a week to keep them clean, and even more often if there are small kids running around who love to pick up all kinds of tiny debris. In addition to that, you can spot-clean your rugs as needed with the following methods:
- If there is something like crumbs or other debris on the rugs, give them a quick vacuum to remove it.
- Be careful not to use too much force when vacuuming the rugs because that can cause them to wear down faster.
- Spray the Rugs with a Stain Remover: If there are stains on the rugs, you can use a stain remover to clean them up.
- Make sure to read the instructions on the bottle to see how long you should leave the stain remover on the rugs. Some need to be left on for a few hours, while others only need to be left on for a few minutes.
If the rugs are really dirty, they may need a deep cleaning to get them looking their best again. You can hire a professional cleaning service or use a rug shampooing machine to get them clean. If you go with the latter method, make sure to read the instructions on the bottle carefully so you don’t accidentally damage the rug.
Removing Stains from Playroom Rugs
If your rugs do get stained and there’s no way around it, don’t stress out. There are some simple ways to clean up messy rugs and get them looking clean and fresh again.
Here are some tips for removing stains from playroom rugs:
- Food coloring: Use vinegar, soap and water to treat the area. Blot the moisture from the fibers and apply the mix with a spray bottle.
- Markers and ink: Using rubbing alcohol to the stain and allow it to sit for 30 minutes and wipe away with water.
- Blood and vomit: Use mild dish soap to clean blood and vomit from the carpet. The faster you can get the blood and vomit out of the carpeting, the better.
Looking for more tips to clean area rugs? Click here to read our blog.
Get Carpet Cleaning from HydraClean Northwest
Carpet cleaning is a necessary task that everyone should be doing on a regular basis. This is especially true for playroom area rugs. If you don’t clean your carpet regularly, it can build up and become dirty and matted over time. This causes the carpet to become uncomfortable to walk on and can also raise the risk of infections and allergies.
When you clean your carpet, always hire the help of a carpet cleaning company such as HydraClean Northwest. These products are specially remove dirt, germs, and stains from your carpet. They work quickly and thoroughly to get rid of everything that is stuck in your carpet.
The playroom is the perfect place for kids to let their imagination run wild, and they’ll really appreciate having a nice, comfortable rug they can play on. When shopping for rugs, look for ones with kid-friendly materials like synthetic fibers, are easy to clean, and come in fun, colorful designs.
Do you need carpet cleaning for playroom rugs? Contact HydraClean Northwest for playroom rug carpet cleaning.