The holidays are a time for family, friends, and gathering. But the festivities can also mean a lot of extra mess. Carpets are especially vulnerable to spills, dirt, and pet hair. In order to keep your carpets looking their best this holiday season, there are a few simple cleaning tips you can follow. From deep cleaning to spot treatments, these easy carpet cleaning tips will make sure your carpets are looking their best for holiday gatherings.
Grab your vacuum cleaner and get ready for a little extra TLC for your carpets this holiday season!
Preparing Your Carpet for the Holidays
Before you get started with any type of carpet cleaning, you want to make sure to prep your carpet. Vacuum your carpets at least once a week to keep them clean and free of dirt and dust that can build up over time. This will make cleaning much easier later on, and it will also help prevent any build-up of dust, allergens, and other harmful substances that can damage your carpets.
Be sure to use the correct attachments on your vacuum if you have area rugs or carpeting. Vaccuums also have different setting levels for areas such as hardwood floors or medium pile carpet. Using the correct setting can yield better results.
Vacuuming Tips for a Thorough Clean
The holidays are here and guests are on their way with food, gifts, and fun. Don’t let dirty carpet spoil your holiday gatherings! These vacuuming tips can help provide you with a thorough clean.
- First, start by vacuuming the entire room. This will remove any loose dirt or debris that is on the surface of your carpet.
- Next, use a rotating brush to go over the surface of the carpet and get down into the fibers.
- Finally, use a vacuum attachment to suck up any loose dirt or debris that is left behind.
- Make sure to avoid using a beater bar on your carpet. This can cause a lot of damage to your carpet and create tons of static.
- For particularly dirty carpets, consider using a carpet shampooer.
Spot Treatments for Stains and Spills
If you have a stain or spill on your carpet, you do not need to wait to clean your carpet. As long as you act fast and treat the stain or spill as quickly as possible, you can prevent a lot of damage.
Try to act as quickly as you can to treat the stain or spill. This will prevent it from setting into your carpet, which can be much more difficult to clean. If you wait too long to clean the stain, it can set. This can make it much harder to clean the stain and can damage your carpet.
When you see a stain or spill immediately, use a clean, damp cloth or paper towel to dab up the liquid as quickly as possible. Do not rub the stain as this can push it into the carpet fiber and make it much more difficult to clean.
If your spill is something that you can easily clean, you can use a cleaner that is appropriate for carpets. Do not use cleaning products that are too strong and can damage your carpets as they may leave behind a residue that can stain your carpet.
When you need specific direction on how to protect your carpet from stains, click here.
Deodorizing Your Carpet
Carpet cleaning tips for the holidays should always include deodorizing. If you have an especially smelly carpet, you may want to consider deodorizing your carpet before you host a party. There are a few different ways you can deodorize your carpet:
- You can mix a solution of baking soda and water to create a carpet deodorizer.
- Alternatively, you can mix natural essential oils with water to create a carpet deodorizer.
- Make sure to test these solutions in an inconspicuous area before you use them. This is to make sure they will not damage your carpet or leave behind a residue that can stain it.
- Alternatively, you can buy a commercial carpet deodorizer.
- Before you deodorize your carpet, make sure to vacuum your carpets to remove any debris that can create an odor.
Home Remedies for Carpet Cleaning
If you need to clean your carpets quickly but do not have the time to hire professional carpet cleaners, you can try some home remedies to clean your carpets.
- If you have a particularly stubborn stain, you can try mixing baking soda and allowing it to sit for several hours. Vaccuuming it away will help pull the odor out of the carpet.
- Spray white vinegar on the carpet and let it sit (the smell will disappear while pulling other odors out of the carpet)
- A mixture of lavender (30 drops) and baking soda (1/2 cup) is also a great option to remove odor from your carpet. Allow the mixture to sit overnight for a full 24 hours and then vacuum.
Deep Cleaning Your Carpet
If you are hosting a holiday event, or your carpet has become especially dirty over the past few weeks, you may want to consider deep cleaning your carpets. Deep cleaning your carpets once a year is the best way to ensure that they are free of allergens, contaminants, and other harmful substances.
- Before getting started, remove all furniture from the room so you have an entirely clean slate
- Vacuum the carpet to suck up dirt and dust
- Do not skip over spots where furniture was sitting
- Pretreat stains and any soils that you find
- Consider using a carpet cleaner, but stay away from steam cleaners!
Professional Carpet Cleaning Services
If you do not have the time to clean your carpets yourself or want to use the best carpet cleaning services in Lynnwood, you can hire professional carpet cleaners like HydraClean Northewest.
When hiring a professional carpet cleaning company, make sure to ask about their cleaning process. You want to make sure that your carpets are being cleaned properly. We take the green approach and use eco-friendly products without steam cleaning. Steam doesn’t mean clean!
Holiday Carpet Cleaning for the Holidays with HydraClean Northwest
Carpets are an essential part of any home, but they can also be a major source of mess. During the holidays, your carpets are particularly at risk for spills, messes, and damage. However, it is important to remember that these are not un-cleanable messes.
With the right carpet cleaning tips, you can get your carpets looking clean in no time! Use these tips to get your carpets looking their best even during the busiest times of the year. From preparing your carpets to deep cleaning and deodorizing your carpets, these tips will make sure your carpets are in the best shape possible.
Do you need a carpet cleaning during the holiday season? Don’t hesitate to reach out to HydraClean Northwest. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.