Have you ever been so fed up with your carpet that you just wanted to rip it right out of the floor? If you’ve experienced this anxiety before, you’re not alone. While new carpets can be a beautiful addition to any home, over time they tend to trap dirt, grime, and odors in their fibers.
Luckily, there are some simple steps that homeowners can take to clean their carpets and keep them looking good and smelling fresh for years to come.
If your carpet is beginning to feel dingy or if you have guests coming and want your carpet to look its very best, don’t worry, we have some tips to share.
Read on for some great advice on how to deep clean your carpet effectively and efficiently.
How to Deep Clean Your Carpet
Traditional carpet cleaning methods tend to be expensive, time-consuming, and ineffective. This includes using most carpet cleaning solutions that you find at local department stores.
The good news is that there are a few ways that you can get your carpet looking clean and smelling fresh once again.
Some of these ways include:
Renting a steam cleaner for carpet cleaning:
A steam cleaner is a great way to get your carpets clean, and it’s especially helpful if you have pets or children in your home who are prone to tracking dirt and debris into your carpets. With a good steam cleaner, you can clean your carpets quickly and easily. Plus, they’re very effective at getting rid of stains, so you don’t have to worry about getting them cleaned as often as you would otherwise.
With a high-quality steam cleaner, you can clean your carpets quickly and easily, while avoiding damage to the carpet itself.
Vacuuming Carpets for Deep Cleaning
Since carpets are soft surfaces they can be easily contaminated with dirt and allergens. Vacuuming regularly is the most effective way to remove dust and allergens from carpets. Most vacuums also have several different attachments that can be used to pick up pet hair or fit into small crevices.
One of the best things you can do to keep your carpets clean is to use a vacuum that has a rotating brush attachment. This type of attachment is great for cleaning in hard-to-reach places like corners and along baseboards.
If you really want to get those carpets super clean, you have two options: buy a high-end vacuum or invest in an upholstery shampooer. These devices have specialized brushes that can extract more dirt from deep within the fibers of your carpet.
High-end vacuums may cost a little more upfront, but they’re worth the investment if you want to keep your carpets clean and fresh for years to come.
Professional Carpet Cleaning
Regularly cleaning your carpets can go a long way towards extending their lifespan, especially if you follow up with the recommended deep clean once every couple of months.
Renting or purchasing a carpet cleaning machine is a great way to maintain your carpets or address unexpected spills, but nothing compares to hiring a professional carpet cleaning company.
Professional carpet cleaners know the best way to safely clean a wide variety of carpet materials, as well as tackle stains, and apply pre-treaters to prevent future stains.
Why do Carpets Get so Dirty?
There are many ways in which your carpet could become dirty. The most common reasons behind dirty carpets include:
- Dirt, dust, and grime – This is the most obvious culprit, and it’s what happens when soil gets tracked into your home from the outside.
- Spills and stains – Unfortunately, no matter how careful you are, every home will experience an occasional spill or stain.
- Pets – If you have pets living in your home, you know that their hair and muddy paws can quickly become a serious problem for your carpets.
- Dirty air ducts- If your air ducts are dirty, they can blow dust and grime all throughout your home. This ultimately settles on your carpet and sticks around in the fibers.
- Bad Ventilation – Carpets must breathe just like any other surface in your home. If the air in your home is too humid or too hot, it can make your carpets feel stuffy and damp.
How Bad is Dirty Carpet?
Although most types of dirt and grime on your carpet aren’t necessarily harmful, they can cause long-term damage to your carpet fibers over time. This can lead to several problems, including:
- A dingy or dirty appearance- More extreme cases of dirt buildup can even lead to permanent staining.
- Reduced lifespan- Over time, most carpets start to show some signs of wear, but cleaning them regularly can significantly extend their lifespan.
- Health hazards- When dirt, grime, and allergens collect on your carpet, they become a breeding ground for harmful bacteria and germs.
- Stale odors- Dirty carpets have all sorts of foul smells trapped in the carpet fibers which can make your whole home smell off-putting. You may not even notice it since you are around it all the time, but no doubt that guests will take notice.
Are you looking to maximize your carpet cleaning routine? Vacuuming regularly is the easiest way to keep your carpets clean in between professional visits. These vacuuming tips will help your home feel fresh and extend the life of your carpeting.
Clean Your Filters and Empty the Canister
Cleaning the filters on your vacuum can extend the life of your vacuum and ensures that dust doesn’t get left behind when you vacuum. Filters are important because they prevent dust and debris from getting into the motor area and causing damage. Cleaning the filters regularly can increase the longevity of your vacuum and ensure that it’s always in working order to help make your carpet last longer.
Do you want your carpet to last longer? Be prepared to vacuum frequently. With the vacuuming, you will remove the dirt and food particles, which can break down the fibers of your carpet. Invest in a high-quality vacuum cleaner with adjustable suction and roller height so that you can clean your carpet safely and effectively.
Choose the Right Attachments
While the main vacuum component is the most useful for large areas of carpet, you don’t want to forget about the attachments. You can use attachments such as the crevice tool to get in corners, on stairs, and under furniture.
The brush tool can help remove pet hair from upholstery and cushions, as well as stubborn areas of your carpet. Some vacuums feature extendable wands to allow you to clean high places and detachable canisters for ease on stairs. You can also get attachments that can be used on upholstery and furniture. By using these tools, you can make sure you get every little piece of dirt or dust that can be found in your home, including your carpet.
How to Prevent Your Carpet From Getting Dirty
While it’s impossible to completely avoid dirt, dust, and grime buildup on your carpets, there are some steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of it happening in the first place.
- Vacuum Regularly- As we mentioned above, vacuuming your carpets at least once a week can go a long way towards preventing dirt, dust, and grime from building up and making them look dingy. If you have pets or your family has allergies, you may want to vacuum much more frequently.
- Clean up spills and stains as soon as you notice them- This will help you prevent stains from becoming deeply ingrained in your carpet fibers.
- Work to remove odors in your carpet- You can use a variety of ways to remove carpet odors, including baking soda and even essential oils. Preventing odors from accumulating is much easier than trying to tackle them once they’ve already been embedded in your carpet.
Trust Hydra Clean Northwest for Completely Clean Carpeting
Regularly vacuuming and cleaning your carpets can go a long way toward extending their lifespan, but nothing beats a professional touch. The experts at Hydra Clean know how to deep clean your carpets, attacking unsightly stains and lurking odors without damaging delicate carpet fibers. Our gentle touch ensures that your carpets will stay fresh and beautiful for years to come.
Call us today to discuss your carpet cleaning needs and set up an appointment.